Admin

History

History
William Alfred Fountain, Jr. was born February 12, 1895, in Athens, Georgia, the son of Bishop William Fountain, Sr. and Jessie Williams Fountain. He received the Bachelor of Arts degree from Morris Brown College (1917), Bachelor of Divinity degree from Garret Biblical Institute (1919) and master of arts degree from Northwestern University (1930). He did further study at the University of Chicago. He was married to Mabel Porter of Marietta, Georgia, and later to Lucille Hill of Athens, Georgia.

The 22 years (1928 - 1950) Fountain spent as president of Morris Brown College, Atlanta, Georgia, spanned all but 12 years of his entire career. When he became president in 1928, the country was on the verge of the Great Depression. With the African Methodist Episcopal Church as the only source of financial support, Fountain found the school heavily in debt, with no credit and foreclosure imminent, and with academic and spiritual morale decimated. He and his father, the chancellor, became a leadership team. Bankruptcy was the only alternative for continued operation, and for two years they had to operate the school as a corporation of Fountain, Harris (Dr. W.H.), and Fountain Company. Fountain himself received no salary during this time. Thus began the long and arduous task of reviving and preserving the tenuous thread of Morris Brown.

During the Fountain years Morris Brown was moved to a new site as a result of the purchase of the old Atlanta University; a college endowment of $476,577 was established; and a building program included new classroom buildings, teachers' cottages, dormitories, a gymnasium, a stadium and the president's home. In academics, Morris Brown achieved an "A" rating from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In subsequent years Morris Brown College continued to build upon the foundation laid by the Fountain administration.

He was a great educator, statesman, theologian, philanthropist, and a world leader, in that he served several Episcopal Dioceses from America to Africa with pride, distinction and honor. It should be of interest for all to know and remember that he delivered one of the first major addresses at the school before his death in 1955.

Fountain Elementary was established in 1989 and is located on 22 acres of beautiful land, which represents the highest point in Clayton County. During the 2002 - 2003 school year, Fountain Elementary underwent an extensive renovation. The renovation included new HVAC units, storage shelves for reading centers, bright paint, an up-to-date cafeteria and a new administrative wing. The brick structure is now composed of three main halls, one administrative suite, a counselor's suite, a gym, a cafeteria, media center and Clayton County Public Schools' Preschool Diagnostic Center.

Currently, Fountain houses students in grades pre-kindergarten (Pre-K) through 5th grade.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.